Wednesday, September 27

{ my september }


{ a is for apple }
I think I must have blinked and missed September. Once again the month has flown by so quickly, but looking back it has been a lovely month. I was happy to embrace autumn as soon as the 1st of the month arrived. The summer berries have been replaced with English grown apples, happily scrumped from next doors apple tree of which a few branches over hang my garden. I would love to say I've been incredibly creative with them, but in truth have enjoyed them simply stewed with a little brown sugar and lots of warming cinnamon. A few transformed this sticky toffee cake into a rather delicious sticky toffee apple cake, and I have my eye on this maple apple butter, that sounds like a slightly more indulgent, spicier version of my stewed apple.


{ drinking }
At the beginning of the month I reached my 1000th Happy Day. It seems such a long time since I first signed up for the #100happydays challenge, and I still remember my very first 100th day, sitting outside the Sydney Opera House, enjoying a Sydney Sling. The challenge is one I've enjoyed doing, and whilst I have a feeling that pure stubbornness played a part in reaching the 1000th day, it has changed my perspective on what happiness is to me. Sometimes it is the big things, like spending your first day in Sydney, though more often than not it's something much smaller, having half an hour to read a book, or that first cup of coffee in a morning.

Having said that, neither of those things were what I had in mind for that 1000th day, so I popped along to The Edgbaston, somewhere that's been on my to visit list for quite a while. The Edgbaston is a beautiful boutique hotel on the outskirts of Birmingham, with one of the most creative cocktail lists I've had the pleasure of tasting. Inspired by Birmingham itself, there are cocktails inspired by Cadbury's, The Electric Cinema, The Botanical Gardens, and more. Served in it's Art Deco inspired cocktail lounge it's a real treat and sensory delight, as cocktails arrive with more than a little theatre, looking, smelling and tasting so good.

For those living in travelling distance of Birmingham, this is definitely one to pop on your to visit list.


{ welcoming autumn }
Ah, hello my favourite season. I love all the seasons for their differences, but I think my heart belongs to autumn. Even rainy days hold a certain charm in autumn, being the perfect excuse to hibernate indoors with a good book and lots of coffee. And of course, knitting and autumn go hand in hand. Chillier mornings and darker evenings make you think of getting cosy in hats and scarfs, snuggling under blankets on the sofa. And of course, this serves as a timely reminder that I still have yet to list any of my knitting on Etsy. So, a promise to you, but mostly to me, watch this space, and the first few bits will be on line super super soon!


{ visting }
A wander around Birmingham led me into the newly opened Honest Skincare. Tucked away in the beautiful Great Western Arcade it's a little smaller than it's King's Heath store, though no less lovely for it. As lovely as all their skincare is, on this occasion it was their shelf of plants that caught my eye and made it onto my Insta feed, though I promise their handmade skincare is more than worth making the trip for.

Somewhere that I rediscovered this month, was our Botanical Gardens. Just around the corner from The Edgbaston, it played host to the Edgbaston Tricentenary and I couldn't resist the chance to have a look around for free. If you missed my recent post, you can read much more about my visit here.

I also got the chance to revisit one of my favourite European cities, Antwerp. Somewhere I have been lucky enough to visit many times with work, I was thrilled to have the chance to spend a couple of days there, wandering around it's pretty cobbled streets, re-discovering just how good their kids wear shops are, not to mention buying a little of that delicious Belgian chocolate to bring home. An early morning stroll around the railway station reminded me what a stunning piece of architecture it is, and the discovery of a new { budget yet boutique } hotel, which had an abundance of Insta worthy plants and art, makes a return visit a must.

And so September is so very nearly over. There is a visit to the Autumn Market at the Bond to look forward to on Saturday, before starting October learning how to crochet with Clare gets Crafty, which I'm more than a little excited about. 

Oh, and there's a small matter of getting that Etsy shop up and running isn't there #octobergoals.

{ have a happy day }

No comments:

Post a Comment

. thank you for taking the time to scribble down your thoughts . i lOve reading All your musings .