Monday, December 4

{ Etsy Made Local . & . a weekend of local loveliness . Part One }


Birmingham was awash with makers and markets this weekend, with not one, but three Christmas Markets taking place.  The Bond, the Council Chambers and the Custard Factory were humming with Christmas carols and the scent of mulled wine. Although the German Market was it's usual busy self, it was heartening to see so many people taking time out to visit these smaller markets.

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 

We're lucky enough to have two local Etsy groups in Birmingham, each hosting their own market at the weekend. When you pop along to these markets you start to realise how many wonderful creatives there are in and around the city, many managing to squeeze in all that making around their other jobs.

Ideas Birmingham were the hosts of the event at the Custard Factory. This was the third event held by the group, and this year's event looked set to top the 2,000 that flocked to Digbeth last year. Held on Friday and Saturday, with a line up of sellers that included artists, potters, makers of jewellery, macrame and much more.  When I popped along on Saturday the market was nicely busy, and it was lovely to find new makers that I'd not spotted before.

BPiancaCeramics and HannahKyriakouDesign were both new to me. Barbara's ceramics and Hannah's jewellery are both inspired by nature, and have a beautiful simplicity about them. I particularly loved Hannah's silver poppy rings, which she makes in three complimentary sizes that are just perfect for stacking and wearing all together. Just lovely.

Also inspired by nature is painter and paper artist Lottie, of PaperInkAlchemy. Her amazingly intricate and detailed moth is sadly sold out on Etsy, but fortunately there are still lots of lovely things to find, such as this Silver Lining's Papercut.

One lovely maker I didn't see, but wish I had, is Alli of LCTLY. Selling at Friday's market, her wonderful woven wall hangings are all individual, one off, creations. They are also lovely enough to make me start thinking about adding a handloom to my Christmas wish list!


I always feel that I shouldn't have favourites at these fairs, though invariably I do. Ideas Birmingham very kindly gave me some vouchers to spend at the market, and as soon as I stopped at Rosario's stall I had an inkling they'd be spent there. Originally from Chile, now living in Birmingham, Rosario is a printmaker, producing the loveliest prints and cards from woodcuts. Many are inspired by the landscape of her home country, others by nature and botanicals. And one is now happily sitting on my desk at home.

{ photo credit . paper ink alchemy }

And so another marvellous market is over. I'll be posting a few of my favourites from the other Etsy Made Local market later in the week, and I hope that if you've still got Christmas gifts still to buy these posts might inspire a few ideas.

{ have a happy day }

Disclaimer: Ideas Birmingham very kindly invited me along to the market, and generously gave me some vouchers to spend whilst there. However, all ramblings, musings and thoughts are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. thank you for taking the time to scribble down your thoughts . i lOve reading All your musings .